This elaborate cased English fruit and cheese service for 18 with sterling knife blades and tines and pearl handles was made by Robert Alker, Sheffield 1851-1852.
The sterling tines and blades are engraved on both sides with grapes and vines. The serving pieces for cheese, grapes, and nuts are accompanied by an extremely rare melon set.
All the pieces are in very good condition except the nut crackers. two of which are damaged. The grape shears, which are English silver plate, are not original.
The rose wood chest is in fine condition.
The set consists of
- 18 fruit knives, 8 ¼ inches
- 18 fruit forks, 6 7/8 inches
- 6 cheese serving knives and forks
- A two piece melon set (length of knife. 11 ¼ inches)
- 4 steel nut crackers (damaged and not original)
- A pair of silver plated grape scissors (not original)